Re: osd down question

The OSDs will heartbeat each other, and report back to the monitors if
any other OSD fails to respond.

An OSD that fails to respond is effectively down, since it's not doing
the things that it's supposed to do.  It is possible for this process
to cause problems.  For example, I've had some OSDs on an overloaded
node mark all of the other OSDs in the cluster down, because the
overloaded node wasn't processing the heartbeat responses quickly
enough.  The solution there was to adjust "mon osd min down reporters"
and "mon osd min down reports" so that a single node can't do that.

You might see something like "epoch XXX wrongly marked me down",
followed by the OSD rejoining the cluster.  That's a sign that the OSD
was overloaded, but not down.  Once it was kicked out of the cluster,
it caught up with the backlog and was able to rejoin.  This shouldn't
cause a chain reaction though.

If you're not seeing that, then the OSD really is unresponsive, and
needs to be restarted.  The other OSDs will start replicating it's
data automatically to make the cluster healthy again.  This should not
cause a chain reaction.  If your cluster is overloaded (very close to
running out of CPU, RAM, or Disk IO), then a failed OSD can cause a
chain reaction as other OSDs pick up the failed OSD's workload.