Re: giant release osd down

Hello,

On Mon, 3 Nov 2014 01:01:32 -0500 (EST) Ian Colle wrote:

> Christian,
>
> Why are you not fond of ceph-deploy?

In short, this very thread.

Ceph-deploy hides a number of things from the users that are pretty vital
for a working ceph cluster and insufficiently or not at all documented in
the manual-deploy documentation.
Specifically the GPT magic, which isn't documented at all (and no,
dissecting python code or some blurb on GIT is not the same as
documentation on the Ceph homepage) and flag files like sysvinit.
There a numerous cases in this ML where people wound up with OSDs that
didn't start (at least at boot time) due to this omission, dependence on
ceph-deploy.

That GPT magic also makes things a lot less flexible (can't use a full
device, have to partition it first) and leads to hilarious things like
ceph-deploy "preparing" an OSD and udev happily starting it up even though
that wasn't requested.

So when people fail to do a manual deploy the answer tends to be "use
ceph-deploy" (and go from there in my particular reply) instead of "Did
you follow the docs in section blah?".

Then there are problems with ceph-deploy itself, like correctly picking up
formatting parameters from the config, but NOT defaulting to the
filesystem type specified there.
And since it's role is supposed to be helping people with quick deployment
(and teardown) of test clusters, the lack of the remove functionality for
OSDs isn't particular helpful either.

Christian

chibi@xxxxxxx   	Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Communications
http://www.gol.com/