Re: prioritizing reads over writes

I think I might have to step out on this one, it sounds like you have all the basics covered for best performance and I can’t think what else to suggest.

Sorry I couldn’t be of more help.

From: ceph-users [mailto:ceph-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Xu (Simon) Chen
Sent: 31 October 2014 20:15
To: Nick Fisk
Cc: ceph-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ceph-users] prioritizing reads over writes

We have SSD journals, backend disks are actually on SSD-fronted bcache devices in writeback mode. The client VMs have rbd cache enabled too...

-Simon

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 4:07 PM, Nick Fisk <nick@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hmmm, it sounds like you are just saturating the spindles to the point that latency starts to climb to unacceptable levels. The problem being that no matter how much tuning you apply, at some point the writes will have to start being put down to the disk and at that point performance will suffer.

Do your OSD’s have SSD journals?  In storage, normally adding some sort of writeback cache (in Ceph’s case Journals) help to lessen the impact of writes by asorbing bursts of writes and by coalescing writes into a more sequential pattern to the underlying disks.