Re: journal on entire ssd device

Journals that are too small can cause performance problems; it
basically takes away the SSD journal speedup, and forces all writes to
go at the speed of the HDD.

Once you make the journal big enough to prevent that, there is no
benefit to making it larger.

There might be a slight performance penalty to making it too large.
SSD wear leveling can take advantage of an under-provisioning.  It
should make things slightly faster when the SSD needs to execute wear
leveling operations (ie, not often).  Under provisioning also extends
the life of the SSD.

Putting numbers to those statements... I really couldn't say.