ERROR: error converting store /var/lib/ceph/osd/ceph-176: (28) No space left on device

Hi Guys,

Recently we have encountered an XFS issue which is "no space available" on XFS although there is 15% disk space available (total space is 4TB) reported by df.

This error had been seen long time before by some other users. Now we reproduce it even if using inode64 on XFS and inode size is 2048.

It looks the same as this one - https://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7014318. And from its “Additional Information”, I think our problem could be like below.

“In the case of a filesystem already running inode64, this error can be encountered if the filesystem does run low/out of disk space -- or if it cannot allocate 4 contiguous blocks for additional inodes.  So if the filesystem is severely fragmented -- meaning only 1-3 blocks are together -- you will not be able to create new files but can write additional data to older files."

I have tried to run xfs_repair which didn’t work, and free some space by moving out few files but it is still a matter of time to hit this issue again once it happened before. I didn’t google much useful information to fix this issue, either.

This is a known XFS issue, but we still want to check with your guys whether you might know some XFS tunings could help or latest fix or enhancement on XFS might resolve it.

Thanks.David Zhang