Re: All SSD storage and journals

On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 15:13:30 +0100 Sebastien Han wrote:

> They were some investigations as well around F2FS
> (https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/filesystems/f2fs.txt), the
> last time I tried to install an OSD dir under f2fs it failed. I tried to
> run the OSD on f2fs however ceph-osd mkfs got stuck on a xattr test:
>
> fremovexattr(10, "user.test@5848273")   = 0
>
> Maybe someone from the core dev has an update on this?

That looks interesting, but wouldn't Ceph also need to be told that this
can be used journal-less like BTRFS?

Along those lines, I would love to hear the current status of ZFS with
Ceph. From where I'm standing BTRFS just isn't getting there, while ZFS
would give us checksummed storage, the possibility to forgo journals and
also compression.
The last bit being of interest to me, as I'm trying to position Ceph
against SolidFire here.

Christian