Re: What a maximum theoretical and practical capacity in ceph cluster?

Hi,

October 27 2014 5:07 PM, "Wido den Hollander" <wido@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 10/27/2014 04:30 PM, Mike wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> My company is plaining to build a big Ceph cluster for achieving and
>> storing data.
>> By requirements from customer - 70% of capacity is SATA, 30% SSD.
>> First day data is storing in SSD storage, on next day moving SATA storage.
>
> How are you planning on moving this data? Do you expect Ceph to do this?
>
> What kind of access to Ceph are you planning on using? RBD? Raw RADOS?
> The RADOS Gateway (S3/Swift)?
>
>> By now we decide use a SuperMicro's SKU with 72 bays for HDD = 22 SSD +
>> 50 SATA drives.
>
> That are some serious machines. It will require a LOT of CPU power in
> those machines to run 72 OSDs. Probably 4 CPUs per machine.
>
>> Our racks can hold 10 this servers and 50 this racks in ceph cluster =
>> 36000 OSD's,
>
> 36.000 OSDs shouldn't really be the problem, but you are thinking really
> big scale here.

AFAIK, the OSDs should scale, since they only peer with ~100 others regardless of the cluster size. I wonder about the mon's though -- 36,000 OSDs will send a lot of pg_stats updates so the mon's will have some work to keep up. But the main issue I foresee is on the clients: don't be surprised when you see that each client needs close to 100k threads when connected to this cluster. A hypervisor with 10 VMs running would approach 1 million threads -- I have no idea if that will present any problems. There were discussions about limiting the number of client threads, but I don't know if there was any progress on that yet.

Anyway, it would be good to know if there are any current installations even close to this size (even in test). We are in the early days of planning a 10k OSD test, but haven't exceed ~1200 yet.

Cheers, Dan