Re: Ceph counters

I've just started on this myself..

I started with https://ceph.com/docs/v0.80/dev/perf_counters/

I'm currently monitoring the latency, using the (to pick one example) [op_w_latency][sum] and [op_w_latency][avgcount].  Both values are counters, so they only increase with time.  The lifetime average latency of the cluster isn't verify useful, so I track the deltas of those values, then divide the recent deltas to get the average latency over my sample period.

Just graphing the latencies let me see a spike in write latency on all disks on one node, which eventually led me to a dead write-cache battery.

That's for the OSDs.  I have similar things setup for MON and RadosGW.

I'm sure there are many more useful things to graph.  One of things I'm interested in (but haven't found time to research yet) is the journal usage, with maybe some alerts if the journal is more than 90% full.