Re: OSD (and probably other settings) not being picked up outside of the [global] section

Hello,

On Mon, 20 Oct 2014 17:09:57 -0700 Craig Lewis wrote:

> I'm still running Emperor, but I'm not seeing that behavior.  My
> ceph.conf is pretty similar:

Yeah, I tested things extensively with Emperor back in the day and at that
time frequently verified that changes in the config file were reflected in
the running configuration after a restart.

Until last week I of course blissfully assumed that this basic
functionality would still work in Firefly. ^o^

> [global]
>   mon initial members = ceph0
>   mon host = 10.129.0.6:6789, 10.129.0.7:6789, 10.129.0.8:6789
>   cluster network = 10.130.0.0/16
>   osd pool default flag hashpspool = true
>   osd pool default min size = 2
>   osd pool default size = 3
>   public network = 10.129.0.0/16
>
> [osd]
>   osd journal size = 6144
>   osd mkfs options xfs = -s size=4096
>   osd mkfs type = xfs
>   osd mount options xfs = rw,noatime,nodiratime,nosuid,noexec,inode64
>

> If you manually run ceph-disk-prepare and ceph-disk-activate, are the
> mkfs params being picked up?

No idea really, I will have to test that.
Of course with ceph-deploy (and I assume ceph-disk-prepare) the "activate"
bit is a bit of misnomer, as the udev magic will happily activate an OSD
instantly after creation despite me using just "ceph-deploy osd
prepare ...".

> For the daemon configs, you can query a running daemon to see what it's
> config params are:
> root@ceph0:~# ceph daemon osd.0 config get 'osd_op_threads'
> { "osd_op_threads": "2"}
> root@ceph0:~# ceph daemon osd.0 config get 'osd_scrub_load_threshold'
> { "osd_scrub_load_threshold": "0.5"}

I of course know that, that is how I found out that things didn't get
picked up.

> While we try to figure this out, you can tell the running daemons to use
> your values with:
> ceph tell osd.\* --inject_args '--osd_op_threads 10'

That I'm also aware of, but for the time being having everything in
[global] resolves the problem and more importantly makes it reboot proof.

Christian