Re: why the erasure code pool not support random write?

On 10/20/2014 03:25 PM, 池信泽 wrote:
> hi, cephers:
>
>       When I look into the ceph source code, I found the erasure code pool
> not support
> the random write, it only support the append write. Why? Is that random
> write of is erasure code high cost and the performance of the deep scrub is
> very poor?

To modify a EC object you need to read all chunks in order to compute
the parity again.

So that would involve a lot of reads for what might be just a very small
write.

That's also why EC can't be used for RBD images.

>  Thanks.

Wido den Hollander
Ceph consultant and trainer
42on B.V.