Re: the state of cephfs in giant

We've been doing a lot of work on CephFS over the past few months. This
is an update on the current state of things as of Giant.
* Either the kernel client (kernel 3.17 or later) or userspace (ceph-fuse
   or libcephfs) clients are in good working order.

Thanks for all the work and specially for concentrating on CephFS! We
have been watching and testing for years by now and really hope to
change our Clusters to CephFS soon.

For kernel maintenance reasons, we only want to run longterm stable
kernels. And for performance reasons and because of severe known
problems we want to avoid Fuse. How good are our chances of a stable
system with the kernel client in the latest longterm kernel 3.14? Will
there be further bugfixes or feature backports?

There are important bug fixes missing from 3.14.  IIRC, the EC, cache
tiering, and firefly CRUSH changes aren't there yet either (they landed in
3.15), and that is not appropriate for a stable series.

They can be backported, but no commitment yet on that :)

If the bugfixes are easily identified in one of your Ceph git branches,
I would even try to backport them myself. Still, I would rather see
someone from the Ceph team with deeper knowledge of the code port them.

IMHO, it would be good for Ceph to have stable support in at least the
latest longterm kernel. No need for new features, but bugfixes should be
there.

does anyone have any data to compare cephfs with fuse-ceph on various (recent/stable/distro) kernels? our main interest in ceph comes from recent features like EC and tiering. if these don't get backported to longterm support kernels, fuse should be a viable alternative imho.

stijn