Re: the state of cephfs in giant

On 13-10-14 20:16, Sage Weil wrote:
> We've been doing a lot of work on CephFS over the past few months. This
> is an update on the current state of things as of Giant.
>
> What we've working on:
>
> * better mds/cephfs health reports to the monitor
> * mds journal dump/repair tool
> * many kernel and ceph-fuse/libcephfs client bug fixes
> * file size recovery improvements
> * client session management fixes (and tests)
> * admin socket commands for diagnosis and admin intervention
> * many bug fixes
>
> We started using CephFS to back the teuthology (QA) infrastructure in the
> lab about three months ago. We fixed a bunch of stuff over the first
> month or two (several kernel bugs, a few MDS bugs). We've had no problems
> for the last month or so. We're currently running 0.86 (giant release
> candidate) with a single MDS and ~70 OSDs. Clients are running a 3.16
> kernel plus several fixes that went into 3.17.
>

> With Giant, we are at a point where we would ask that everyone try
> things out for any non-production workloads. We are very interested in
> feedback around stability, usability, feature gaps, and performance. We
> recommend:

A question to clarify this for anybody out there. Do you think it is
safe to run CephFS on a cluster which is doing production RBD/RGW I/O?

Will it be the MDS/CephFS part which breaks or are there potential issue
due to OSD classes which might cause OSDs to crash due to bugs in CephFS?

I know you can't fully rule it out, but it would be useful to have this
clarified.

Wido den Hollander
42on B.V.

Phone: +31 (0)20 700 9902