Federated gateways (our planning use case)

Hi!

Our institute now planning to deploy a set of robotic telescopes across a country.
Most of the telescopes will have low bandwidth and high latency, or even not permanent internet connectivity.
I think, we can set up synchronization of observational data with ceph, using federated gateways:

1. The main big storage ceph cluster will be set up in our institute main building
2. The small ceph clusters will be set up near each telescope, to store only the data from local telescope
3. VPN tunnels will be set up from each telescope site to our institute
4. Federated gateways mechanism will do all the magic to synchronize data

Is this a realistic plan?
What problems we can meet with this setup?

Thanks in advance,
  Pavel.