Re: Network hardware recommendations

On Sun, Oct 5, 2014 at 11:19 PM, Ariel Silooy <ariel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello fellow ceph user, right now we are researching ceph for our storage.

We have a cluster of 3 OSD nodes (and 5 MON) for our RBD disk which for now we are using the NFS proxy setup. On each OSD node we have 4x 1G Intel copper NIC (not sure about the model number though but I'll look it up in case anyone asking). Up until now we are testing on one nic as we dont have (yet) a network switch with la/teaming support.

I suppose since its Intel we should try to get jumbo frames working too, so I hope someone would recommend a good switch that is known to work with most Intel's.

We are looking for recommendation on what kind of network switch, network layout, brand, model, whatever.. as we are (kind of) new to building our own storage and has no experience in ceph.

We are also looking for feasibility of using fibre-channel instead of copper but we dont know if it would help much, in terms of speed-improvements/$ ratio since we already have 4 NICs on each OSD. Should we go for it?

I really would think about something faster then gig ethernet. Merchant silicon is changing the world, take a look at guys like Quanta, I just bought two T3048-LY2 switches with Cumulus software for under 6k each. That gives you 48 10 gig ports and 4 40 gig ports to play with, to save on optics use SFP+ copper cables. If you want to save even more money go with used 10 gig infiniband off eBay, you can do that for under $100 a port.

nathan stratton | vp technology | broadsoft, inc | +1-240-404-6580 | www.broadsoft.com