Re: Ceph SSD array with Intel DC S3500's

Hi Mark,

Would you see any benefit in using a Intel P3700 NVMe drive as a journal for say 6x Intel S3700 OSD's ?

On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 6:58 AM, Mark Nelson <mark.nelson@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 10/02/2014 12:48 PM, Adam Boyhan wrote:
Hey everyone, loving Ceph so far!

Hi!

We are looking to role out a Ceph cluster with all SSD's.  Our
application is around 30% writes and 70% reads random IO.  The plan is
to start with roughly 8 servers with 8 800GB Intel DC S3500's per
server.  I wanted to get some input on the use of the DC S3500. Seeing
that we are primarily a read environment, I was thinking we could easily
get away with the S3500 instead of the S3700 but I am unsure?  Obviously
the price point of the S3500 is very attractive but if they start
failing on us too soon, it might not be worth the savings.  My largest
concern is the journaling of Ceph, so maybe I could use the S3500's for
the bulk of the data and utilize a S3700 for the journaling?

I'd suggest if you are using SSDs for OSDs anyway, you are better off just putting the journal on the SSD so you don't increase the number of devices per OSD that can cause failure.  In terms of the S3500 vs the S3700, it's all a numbers game.  Figure out how much data you expect to write, how many drives you have, what the expected write endurance of each drive is, replication, journaling, etc, and figure out what you need! :)

The S3500 may be just fine, but it depends entirely on your write workload.

I appreciate the input!

Thanks All!