Re: ceph, ssds, hdds, journals and caching

While I doubt you're hitting any particular bottlenecks on your storage
servers I don't think Zabbix (very limited experience with it so I might
be wrong) monitors everything, nor does it so at sufficiently high
freqency to show what is going on during a peak or fio test from a
client.
Thus my suggestion to stare at it live with atop (on all nodes).

I will give it a go and see what happens during benchmarks. The Atop is rather informative indeed! There is a zabbix plugin/template for ceph, which gives a good overview of the ceph cluster. It does not provide the level of details that you would get from an admin socket, but rather an overview of the cluster thhroughput and io rates as well as PGs status.

> My biggest concern is the single
> thread performance of vms. From what I can see, this is the main
> downside of ceph. On average, I am not getting much over 35-40MB/s per
> thread in cold data reads. This is compared with a single hdd read
> performance of 150-160MB/s. Having about 1/4 of the raw device
> performance is a bit worring, especially compared with what i've read. I
> should be getting about 1/2 of the raw drive performance for a single
> thread, but I am not. My hope was with caching tier I can increase it.

Have a look at:
http://lists.ceph.com/pipermail/ceph-users-ceph.com/2014-April/028552.html

Your numbers look very much like mine before increasing the read_ahead
buffer.

How much in performance did you gain by setting the read_ahead values? The performance figures that I get are using the following udev rules:

# set read_ahead values
ACTION="" KERNEL=="sd[a-z]", ATTR{queue/rotational}=="1", ATTR{queue/read_ahead_kb}="2048"
ACTION="" KERNEL=="sd[a-z]", ATTR{queue/rotational}=="1", ATTR{queue/nr_requests}="2048"
# set deadline scheduler for non-rotating disks
ACTION="" KERNEL=="sd[a-z]", ATTR{queue/rotational}=="0", ATTR{queue/scheduler}="noop"
# # set cfq scheduler for rotating disks
ACTION="" KERNEL=="sd[a-z]", ATTR{queue/rotational}=="1", ATTR{queue/scheduler}="cfq"

Is there anything else that I am missing?