rbd + openstack nova instance snapshots?

Hi All,

I'm working on integrating our new Ceph cluster with our older
OpenStack infrastructure.  It's going pretty well so far but looking
to check my expectations.

We're running Firefly on the ceph side and Icehouse on the OpenStack
side.  I've pulled the recommnded nova branch from
https://github.com/angdraug/nova/tree/rbd-ephemeral-clone-stable-icehouse
on my test nova nodes and have happily gotten instances booting from
CoW clones of images stored in glance's rbd pool.

I notice if I take a snapshot of that instance however, rather than
making a clone as I'd hoped the hypervisor is pulling down a copy of
the instance rbd to local disk then shipping that full sized raw image
back to glance to be uploaded back into rbd.

Is this expected?  Am I misconfiguring some thing (glance and nova are
using different pools, which works to launch a cloned instance but
maybe doesn't work in reverse)? Is there another patch I need to pull?

Thanks,
-Jon