"Geom Error" on boot with rbd volume

Could this be a lock issue? From what I understand, librbd does not create
an rbd device, it is all done in userspace. I would make sure that you have
unmapped the image from all machines and try it again. I haven't done a lot
with librbd myself, but my co-workers have it working just fine with KVM.