Merging two active ceph clusters: suggestions needed

On Sun, 21 Sep 2014 05:15:32 +0000 Robin H. Johnson wrote:

> For a variety of reasons, none good anymore, we have two separate Ceph
> clusters.
>
> I would like to merge them onto the newer hardware, with as little
> downtime and data loss as possible; then discard the old hardware.
>
> Cluster A (2 hosts):
> - 3TB of S3 content, >100k files, file mtimes important
> - <500GB of RBD volumes, exported via iscsi
>
> Cluster B (4 hosts):
> - <50GiB of S3 content
> - 7TB of RBD volumes, exported via iscsi
>
> Short of finding somewhere to dump all of the data from one side, and
> re-importing it after merging with that cluster as empty; are there any
> other alternatives available to me?

Having recently seen a similar question and the answer by the Ceph
developers, no.
As in there is no way (and no plans) for merging clusters.

There are export functions for RBD volumes, not sure about S3 and the
mtimes as I don't use that functionality.

Christian
chibi at gol.com   	Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Communications
http://www.gol.com/