Cache Pool writing too much on ssds, poor performance?

Something that is very important to keep in mind with the way that the
cache tier implementation currently works in Ceph is that cache misses
are very expensive.  It's really important that your workload have a
really big hot/cold data skew otherwise it's not going to work well at
all.  In your case, you are doing sequential reads which is terrible for
this because for each pass you are never re-reading the same blocks, and
by the time you get to the end of the test and restart it, the first
blocks (apparently) have already been flushed.  If you increased the
size of the cache tier, you might be able to fit the whole thing in
cache which should help dramatically, but that's not easy to guarantee
outside of benchmarks.

I'm guessing you are using firefly right?  To improve this behaviour,
Sage implemented a new policy in the recent development releases not to
promote reads right away.  Instead, we wait to promote until there are
several reads of the same object within a certain time period.  That
should dramatically help in this case.  You really don't want big
sequential reads being promoted into cache since cache promotion is
expensive and the disks are really good at doing that kind of thing anyway.

On the flip side, 4MB read misses are bad, but the situation is even
worse with 4K misses. Imagine for instance that you are going to do a 4K
read from a default 4MB RBD block and that object is not in cache.  In
the implementation we have in firefly, the whole 4MB object will be
promoted to the cache which will in most cases require a transfer of
that object over the network to the primary OSD for the associated PG in
the cache pool.  Now depending on the replication policy, that primary
cache pool OSD will fan out and write (by default) 2 extra copies of the
data to the other OSDs in the PG, so 3 total.  Now assuming your cache
tier is on SSDs with co-located journals, each one of those writes will
actually be 2 writes, one to the journal, and one to the data store.

To recap: *Any* read miss regardless if it's 4KB or 4MB means at least 1
4MB object promotion, times 3 replicas (ie 12MB over the network) times
2 for the journal writes. So 24MB of data written to the cache tier
disks, no matter if it's 4KB or 4MB.  Imagine you have 200 IOPS worth of
4KB read cache misses.  That's roughly 4.8GB/s of writes into the cache
tier.  If you are seldomly re-reading the same blocks, performance will
be absolutely terrible.  On the other hand, if you have lots of small
random reads from the same set of 4MB objects, the cache tier really can
help.  How much it helps vs just doing the reads from page cache is
debatable though.  There's some band between page cache and disk where
the cache tier fits in, but getting everything right is going to be tricky.

The optimal situation imho is that the cache tier only promote objects
that have a lot of small random reads hitting them, and be very
conservative about promotions, especially for new writes.  I don't know
whether or not cache promotion might pollute page cache in strange ways,
but that's something we also may need to be careful about.

For more info, see the following thread:

http://www.spinics.net/lists/ceph-devel/msg20189.html

Mark