ceph data consistency

On Thu, 4 Sep 2014, ???????? wrote:

> hi, guys:
> ?
> ? when I read the filestore.cc, I find the ceph use crc the check the data.
> Why should check the data?
>
> ? In my knowledge, ?the disk has error-correcting code?(ECC) for each
> sector. Looking at wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_sector, "In disk
> drives, each physical sector is made up of three basic parts, the sector
> header, the data area and the error-correcting code?(ECC)".? So if the data
> is not correct. the disk can recovery it or ?return i/o error.
> ?
> ? Does anyone can explain it?

These checksums are not terribly reliable, and I think not even present on
all disks.

Note that the CRC checks in FileStore today are opportunistic and there
primarily for our QA environment; we don't recommend enabling them in
production environments right now because we're not sure what the
performance implications are.

sage