[Single OSD performance on SSD] Can't go over 3, 2K IOPS

On 01/09/14 17:10, Alexandre DERUMIER wrote:
>>> Allegedly this model ssd (128G m550) can do 75K 4k random write IOPS
>>> (running fio on the filesystem I've seen 70K IOPS so is reasonably
>>> believable). So anyway we are not getting anywhere near the max IOPS
>> >from our devices.
>
> Hi,
> Just check this:
>
> http://www.anandtech.com/show/7864/crucial-m550-review-128gb-256gb-512gb-and-1tb-models-tested/3
>

> If the ssd is full of datas, the performance is far from 75K, more around 7K.
>
> I think only high-end DC ssd, slc, can provide consistent results around 40K-50K

Exactly - I'm not (meaning to anyway) recommend the M550 in a serious
datacenter situation - performance is not consistent enough as you
mention, and also their wearout lifetime is a bit short for a serious
continued workload (we use the Intel DC S3700 for production). However
on the plus side the M550 *does* have power loss protection via caps -
which is awesome in a budget product, so *may* be suitable for lightly
loaded server scenario if you understand its limitations.

Also they are very useful for fact finding and debugging in a
workstation environment (which is how I'm using them)!

Regards

Mark