Best practice K/M-parameters EC pool

Hello,

On Tue, 26 Aug 2014 20:21:39 +0200 Loic Dachary wrote:

> Hi Craig,
>
> I assume the reason for the 48 hours recovery time is to keep the cost
> of the cluster low ? I wrote "1h recovery time" because it is roughly
> the time it would take to move 4TB over a 10Gb/s link. Could you upgrade
> your hardware to reduce the recovery time to less than two hours ? Or
> are there factors other than cost that prevent this ?

I doubt Craig is operating on a shoestring budget.
And even if his network were to be just GbE, that would still make it only
10 hours according to your wishful thinking formula.

He probably has set the max_backfills to 1 because that is the level of
I/O his OSDs can handle w/o degrading cluster performance too much.
The network is unlikely to be the limiting factor.

The way I see it most Ceph clusters are in sort of steady state when
operating normally, i.e. a few hundred VM RBD images ticking over, most
actual OSD disk ops are writes, as nearly all hot objects that are being
read are in the page cache of the storage nodes.
Easy peasy.

Until something happens that breaks this routine, like a deep scrub, all
those VMs rebooting at the same time or a backfill caused by a failed OSD.
Now all of a sudden client ops compete with the backfill ops, page caches
are no longer hot, the spinners are seeking left and right.
Pandemonium.

I doubt very much that even with a SSD backed cluster you would get away
with less than 2 hours for 4TB.

To give you some real life numbers, I currently am building a new cluster
but for the time being have only one storage node to play with.
It consists of 32GB RAM, plenty of CPU oomph, 4 journal SSDs  and 8 actual
OSD HDDs (3TB, 7200RPM). 90GB of (test) data on it.

So I took out one OSD (reweight 0 first, then the usual removal steps)
because the actual disk was wonky. Replaced the disk and re-added the OSD.
Both operations took about the same time, 4 minutes for evacuating the OSD
(having 7 write targets clearly helped) for measly 12GB or about 50MB/s
and 5 minutes or about 35MB/ for refilling the OSD.
And that is on one node (thus no network latency) that has the default
parameters (so a max_backfill of 10) which was otherwise totally idle.

In other words, in this pretty ideal case it would have taken 22 hours
to re-distribute 4TB.

More in another reply.

chibi at gol.com   	Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Communications
http://www.gol.com/