can osd start up if journal is lost and it has not been replayed?

hi

could you tell the reason, why 'the journal is lost, the OSD is lost'? if journal is lost, actually it only lost part  which ware not replayed.
let take a similar case as example, a osd is down for some time , its journal is out of date(lose part of journal), but it can catch up with other osds. why?
that example can tell that  either outdated osd can get all journal from others  or 'catch up' has different theory with journal.
could you explain?

thanks