Fixed all active+remapped PGs stuck forever (but I have no clue why)

Hello,

On Thu, 14 Aug 2014 03:38:11 +0000 David Moreau Simard wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Trying to update my continuous integration environment.. same deployment
> method with the following specs:
> - Ubuntu Precise, Kernel 3.2, Emperor (0.72.2) - Yields a successful,
> healthy cluster.
> - Ubuntu Trusty, Kernel 3.13, Firefly (0.80.5) - I have stuck placement
> groups.
>
> Here?s some relevant bits from the Trusty/Firefly setup before I move on
> to what I?ve done/tried: http://pastebin.com/eqQTHcxU <? This was about
> halfway through PG healing.
>
> So, the setup is three monitors, two other hosts on which there are 9
> OSDs each. At the beginning, all my placement groups were stuck unclean.

And there's your reason why the firefly install "failed".
The default replication is 3 and you have just 2 storage nodes, combined
with the default CRUSH rules that's exactly what will happen.
To avoid this from the start either use 3 nodes or set
---
osd_pool_default_size = 2
osd_pool_default_min_size = 1
---
in your ceph.conf very early on, before creating anything, especially
OSDs.

Setting the replication for all your pools to 2 with "ceph osd pool <name>
set size 2" as the first step after your install should have worked, too.

But with all the things you tried, I can't really tell you why things
behaved they way they did for you.

Christian