Introductions

Hi Zach,

On 08/09/2014 11:33 AM, Zach Hill wrote:
> Generally, we recommend strongly against such a deployment in order to
> ensure performance and failure isolation between the compute and
> storage sides of the system. But, I'm curious if anyone is doing this
> in practice and if they've found reasonable ways to make it work in
> production.

we are doing this in production since more than 2 years now because we
couldn't afford more than a 2 nodes solution. There's of course a
performance impact due to the pressure on the OS, but it didn't caused
any lock or performance collapse.

Of course, now that we had some production time behind us, we can afford
scaling up and separating storage and compute concerns and will do, but
only to be clean and allow each concern of the cluster to scale
independently. For instance, I won't hesitate to add drives to compute
hosts, should a massive increase in storage capacity demand come.