Show IOps per VM/client to find heavy users...

On 08/08/2014 03:44 PM, Dan Van Der Ster wrote:
> Hi,
> Here?s what we do to identify our top RBD users.
>
> First, enable log level 10 for the filestore so you can see all the IOs
> coming from the VMs. Then use a script like this (used on a dumpling
> cluster):
>
> https://github.com/cernceph/ceph-scripts/blob/master/tools/rbd-io-stats.pl
>
> to summarize the osd logs and identify the top clients.
>
> Then its just a matter of scripting to figure out the ops/sec per
> volume, but for us at least the main use-case has been to identify who
> is responsible for a new peak in overall ops ? and daily-granular
> statistics from the above script tends to suffice.
>
> BTW, do you throttle your clients? We found that its absolutely
> necessary, since without a throttle just a few active VMs can eat up the
> entire iops capacity of the cluster.

+1

I'd strongly advise to set I/O limits for Instances. I've had multiple
occasions where a runaway script inside a VM was hammering on the
underlying storage killing all I/O.

Not only with Ceph, but over the many years I've worked with storage.
I/O == expensive

CloudStack supports I/O limiting, so I recommend you set a limit. Set it
to 750 write IOps for example. That way one Instance can't kill the
whole cluster, but it still has enough I/O to run. (usually).

Wido