librbd tuning?

On Wed, 2014-08-06 at 08:05 -0700, Sage Weil wrote:
> BTW, do we still need to use something != virtio in order for
> trim/discard?

This was also my first concern when virtio was suggested.  We were using
ide primarily so we could take advantage of discard.  The vms we will be
supporting are more pets than cattle so we'll want to reclaim any space
they're not using.

For the record I am getting significantly better performance on my fio
tests with io='native' and bus='virtio' changes in the guest.  vnstat on
the OSD nodes still doesn't show the peak throughput numbers that I get
using the rbd kernel module, but it's in the neighborhood at any rate.

I see that the latest version of fio can use rbd directly so maybe I'll
run my tests that way so I can separate librbd performance from qemu
performance.

Thanks for all the help!

Tregaron