cache pool osds crashing when data is evicting to underlying storage pool

On Fri, 1 Aug 2014, Kenneth Waegeman wrote:
> > On Thu, 31 Jul 2014, Kenneth Waegeman wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > We have a erasure coded pool 'ecdata' and a replicated pool 'cache' acting
> > > as
> > > writeback cache upon it.
> > > When running 'rados -p ecdata bench 1000 write', it starts filling up the
> > > 'cache' pool as expected.
> > > I want to see what happens when it starts evicting, therefore I've done:
> > > ceph osd pool set cache target_max_bytes $((200*1024*1024*1024))
> > >
> > > When it start to evict the objects to 'ecdata', the cache osds are all
> > > crashing. I logged an issue : http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/8982
> > >
> > > I enabled the cache with this commands:
> > >
> > > ceph osd pool create cache 1024 1024
> > > ceph osd erasure-code-profile set profile11 k=8 m=3
> > > ruleset-failure-domain=osd
> > > ceph osd pool create ecdata 128 128 erasure profile11
> > >
> > > ceph osd tier add ecdata cache
> > > ceph osd tier cache-mode cache writeback
> > > ceph osd tier set-overlay ecdata cache
> > >
> > > Is there something else that I should configure?
> >
> > I think you just need to enable the hit_set tracking.  It's
> > obviously not supposed to crash when you don't, though; I'll fix
> > that up shortly.
>
> Thanks, it seems to work now! I saw the values of hit_set_count,.. are set to
> zero. What does this mean? Is this the default value or does it actually mean
> '0' (and then they should be set always?)

0 means that hit set tracking is disabled (which means the OSD isn't pay
attention to which objects are being accessed and won't have any
information to inform it's flushing/evicting decisions).

Glad to hear that cleared things up!

sage