Ceph and my use case - is it a fit?

On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 5:08 PM, Matan Safriel <dev.matan at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm looking for a distributed file system, for large JSON documents. My file
> sizes are roughly between 20M and 100M, so they are too small for couchbase,
> mongodb, even possibly Riak, but too small (by an order of magnitude) for
> HDFS. Would you recommend Ceph for this kind of scenario?

When you say they're too small for HDFS, do you really mean they're
too numerous?  How many are we talking about?

If your use case calls for just puts and gets of named serialized
blobs, you may be best off with the RGW or librados object store
interfaces to Ceph, rather than the file system per se.

> Additional question - will it also install and behave gracefully as a
> single-node cluster running on a single linux machine, in a dev scenario
> and/or a unit test machine scenario?

Yes, that's how some of the ceph tests themselves operate.

Cheers,
John