Calamari Goes Open Source

On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 3:40 PM, Dan Ryder (daryder) <daryder at cisco.com> wrote:
> I had similar issues, I tried many different ways to use vagrant but
> couldn?t build packages successfully. I?m not sure how reliable this is, but
> if you are looking to get Calamari packages quickly, you can skip the
> Vagrant install steps and just use the Makefile.

A note of warning here -- the vagrant stuff exists for a reason.  The
ease of building things directly depends very much on what distro
you're on and what external packages are installed.  Because of the
way the virtualenv for /opt/calamari is built, it can be sensitive not
just to what packages you have installed, but what packages you
*don't* have installed -- if something is installed systemwide then
that can prevent pip from realizing it needs to build it into the
virtualenv.

BTW, the configuration of the build virtual machines is separable from
vagrant itself: within each folder in vagrant you'll see a salt/roots
subdir.  Those salt states can also be used on a virtual machine set
up using your choice of provisioner, if you're running salt there.

Finally, anyone working in this area should join the ceph-calamari
mailing list at
http://lists.ceph.com/listinfo.cgi/ceph-calamari-ceph.com -- it would
be good to hear about any specific steps in build instructions that
are failing there.

Cheers,
John