ceph osd crush tunables optimal AND add new OSD at the same time

Sage,

would it help if you add a cache pool to your cluster? Let's say if you add a few TBs of ssds acting as a cache pool to your cluster, would this help with retaining IO to the guest vms during data recovery or reshuffling?

Over the past year and a half that we've been using ceph we had a positive experience for the majority of time. The only downtime we had for our vms was when ceph is doing recovery. It seems that regardless of the tuning options we've used, our vms are still unable to get IO, they get to 98-99% iowait and freeze. This has happened on dumpling, emperor and now firefly releases. Because of this I've set noout flag on my cluster and have to keep an eye on the osds for manual intervention, which is far from ideal case (((.

Andrei

--
Andrei Mikhailovsky
Director

Web: http://www.arhont.com
http://www.wi-foo.com
Tel: +44 (0)870 4431337
Fax: +44 (0)208 429 3111
PGP: Key ID - 0x2B3438DE
PGP: Server - keyserver.pgp.com

DISCLAIMER

The information contained in this email is intended only for the use of the person(s) to whom it is addressed and may be confidential or contain legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any perusal, use, distribution, copying or disclosure is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error please immediately advise us by return email at andrei at arhont.com and delete and purge the email and any attachments without making a copy.