HW recommendations for OSD journals?

The good SSDs will report how much of their estimated life has been used.
 It's not in the SMART spec though, so different manufacturers do it
differently (or not at all).

I've got Intel DC S3700s, and the SMART attributes include:
233 Media_Wearout_Indicator 0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always
    -       0

I'm planning to monitor those value, and replace the SSD when "gets old".
 I don't know exactly what that means yet, but I'll figure it out.  It's
easy to replace SSDs before they fail, without losing the whole OSD.

With my write volume, I might just make it a quarterly manual task instead
of adding it to my monitoring tool.  TBD.

Of course, this won't prevent other types of SSD failure.  I've lost both
SSDs in a RAID1 when I triggered an Intel firmware bug.  I've lost both
SSDs in a RAID1 when the colo lost power (older SSDs without super caps).

The only way I can think of that would make RAID1 SSDs safer than a single
SSD is if you use two SSDs from different manufacturers.

Ceph's mantra is "failure is constant".  I'm not going to RAID my journal
devices.  I will use SSDs with power loss protection though.  I can handle
one or two SSDs dropping out at a time.  I can't handle a large percentage
of them dropping out at the same time.