From: ceph-users [mailto:ceph-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Bachelder, Kurt
Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2014 3:22 PM
To: ceph-users at ceph.com
Subject: Creating a bucket on a non-master region in a multi-region configuration with unified namespace/replication

Hi -

We have a multi-region configuration with metadata replication between the regions for a unified namespace.  Each region has pools in a different cluster. Users created in the master region are replicated to the slave region without any issues - we can get user info, and everything is consistent.  Buckets created in the master region are also indexed in the slave region without any issues.

The issue we're having is with creating a bucket in the slave region.  As we understand it, a bucket is considered "metadata", and should be created via the master region, but using a "location constraint" to ensure the objects within the bucket are physically stored in the secondary region.  However, there is a lack of documentation on exactly *how* to accomplish this - we've attempted with s3cmd using the -bucket-location parameter to point to the slave region, but the bucket is still created in the master region.

We noticed that the ceph S3 API documentation (http://ceph.com/docs/master/radosgw/s3/#features-support) shows that the Amazon S3 functionality for "bucket location" is not supported... but I can't imagine that restriction renders the entire slave region setup useless... does it?

So how are buckets created in a secondary region?

Thanks in advance!

Kurt