cephfs and EC

On 07/08/2014 04:28 AM, Stijn De Weirdt wrote:
> hi all,
>
> one of the changes in the 0.82 release (accoridng to the notes) is:
>
> mon: prevent EC pools from being used with cephfs
>
> can someone clarify this a bit? cephfs with EC pools make no sense? now?
> ever? or is it just not recommended (i'm also interested in the
> technical reasons behind it)

There are limitations regarding the operations that are supported by EC
pools, so you can't directly use them for RBD/CephFS. Potentially you
can put a replication based cache tier pool in front of an EC base pool
which should work.  I've tested this kind of setup with RBD and it
appears to work fine.  Currently the end result is pretty slow, but we
may be able to improve it with time.

An interesting use case to be sure. :)

Mark