Bypass Cache-Tiering for special reads (Backups)

Hi,

I was wondering, having a cache pool in front of an RBD pool is all fine
and dandy, but imagine you want to pull backups of all your VMs (or one
of them, or multiple...). Going to the cache for all those reads isn't
only pointless, it'll also potentially fill up the cache and possibly
evict actually frequently used data. Which got me thinking... wouldn't
it be nifty if there was a special way of doing specific backup reads
where you'd bypass the cache, ensuring the dirty cache contents get
written to cold pool first? Or at least doing special reads where a
cache-miss won't actually cache the requested data?

AFAIK the backup routine for an RBD-backed KVM usually involves creating
a snapshot of the RBD and putting that into a backup storage/tape, all
done via librbd/API.

Maybe something like that even already exists?

KR,
Marc