Why is librbd1 / librados2 from Firefly 20% slower than the one from dumpling?

On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 12:44 PM, Stefan Priebe <s.priebe at profihost.ag> wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> Am 02.07.2014 21:36, schrieb Gregory Farnum:
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 12:00 PM, Stefan Priebe <s.priebe at profihost.ag>
>> wrote:

>>> Sure
>>>
>>> Number of OSDs: 24
>>> Each OSD has an SSD capable of doing tested with fio before installing
>>> ceph
>>> (70.000 iop/s 4k write, 580MB/s seq. write 1MB blocks)
>>>
>>> Single Xeon E5-1620 v2 @ 3.70GHz
>>>
>>> 48GB RAM
>>

>> Awesome, thanks.
>>
>> I went through the changelogs on the librados/, osdc/, and msg/
>> directories to see if I could find any likely change candidates
>> between Dumpling and Firefly and couldn't see any issues. :( But I
>> suspect that the sharding changes coming will more than make up the
>> difference, so you might want to plan on checking that out when it
>> arrives, even if you don't want to deploy it to production.n
>

> To which changes do you refer? Will they be part or backported of/to
> firefly?

Yehuda's got a pretty big patchset that is sharding up the "big
Objecter lock" into many smaller mutexes and RWLocks that will make it
much more parallel. He's on vacation just now but I understand it's
almost ready to merge; I don't think it'll be suitable for backport to
firefly, though (it's big).
-Greg