How to improve performance of ceph objcect storage cluster

I've never worked enough with rbd to be sure.   I know for files, when I turned on striping, I got far better performance.   It seems like for RBD, the default is:

Just to see if it helps with rbd, I would try stripe_count=4, stripe_unit=1mb... or something like that.   If you tinker with these params, and they improve performance, let me know.

-----Original Message-----
From: Christian Kauhaus [mailto:kc@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, June 27, 2014 3:35 AM
To: Aronesty, Erik; Udo Lembke; ceph-users at lists.ceph.com
Subject: Re: How to improve performance of ceph objcect storage cluster

Am 26.06.2014 20:05, schrieb Aronesty, Erik:
> Well, it's the same for rbd, what's your stripe count set to?  For a small system, it should be at least the # of nodes in your system.    As systems get larger, there's limited returns... I would imagine there would be some OSD caching advantage to keeping the number limited (IE: more requests of the same device = more likely the device has the next stripe unit prefetched).

I'm trying to make sure I understand this: usually you can't set the stripe
count directly, but you can set the default stripe size of RBD volumes. So in
consequence, does this mean to go with a larger RBD object size than the
default (4MiB)?

Regards

Christian

--
Dipl.-Inf. Christian Kauhaus <>< ? kc at gocept.com ? systems administration
gocept gmbh & co. kg ? Forsterstra?e 29 ? 06112 Halle (Saale) ? Germany