Ceph-deploy to deploy osds simultaneously

In practice, it's not a big deal.  Just deploy your disks sequentially,
and Ceph will sort it out.

Sure, you'll waste a bit of time watching data copy to a new disk, only
to see it get remapped it to a newer disk.  It's a small period of time
relative to how long it's going to take to remap to all of the new disks
anyway.  Ceph handles it fine, and won't lose data.

If you still want to, check out the mon osd auto mark new in setting:
http://ceph.com/docs/master/rados/configuration/mon-osd-interaction/#configuration-settings

Alfredo's comments about a race condition shouldn't apply, because
you'll create the OSDs sequentially, and only mark them up and in after
they're created.

On 5/27/14 07:20 , Alfredo Deza wrote:
> There is no simultaneous support in ceph-deploy as this is something
> that is not needed for users setting up a cluster to try out
> ceph (the main objective of ceph-deploy)
>
> However, there have been users that used scripts that can call
> ceph-deploy in parallel so it might be possible to do so.
>
> For OSDs specifically, be warned about a possible race condition, you
> might find a bit of info in this ticket:
> http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/3309
>

> On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 2:14 AM, Cao, Buddy <buddy.cao at intel.com> wrote:
>> Hi,  does ceph-deploy support to deploy osds simultaneously in a large scale cluster? Looks mkcephfs does not support simultaneous osd deployment.
>>
>> If there are many hosts with very large number and size of osds/devices, how do I improve the performance to deploy the whole cluster at once?
>>
>> Wei Cao (Buddy)

*Craig Lewis*
Senior Systems Engineer
Office +1.714.602.1309
Email clewis at centraldesktop.com <mailto:clewis at centraldesktop.com>

*Central Desktop. Work together in ways you never thought possible.*
Connect with us Website <http://www.centraldesktop.com/>  | Twitter
<http://www.twitter.com/centraldesktop>  | Facebook
<http://www.facebook.com/CentralDesktop>  | LinkedIn
<http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=147417>  | Blog