Inter-region data replication through radosgw

On 5/21/14 09:02 , Fabrizio G. Ventola wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm reading the doc regarding the replication through radosgw. It
> talks just about inter-region METAdata replication, nothing about data
> replication.
>
> My question is, it's possible to have (everything) geo-replicated
> through radosgw? Actually we have 2 ceph cluster (geo-dislocated)
> instances and we wanna exploit the radosgw to make replicas across our
> two clusters.
>
> It's possible to read/write on both replicas (one placed on primary
> region and one on the secondary one) done through radosgw? I'm
> wondering because on the doc it's suggested to write just on a master
> zone, avoiding to write on secondary zones. It's the same for
> primary/secondary regions?
>

> Cheers,
> Fabrizio

The federated setup will replicate both data and metadata.  You can do
just metadata if you want, but it's not the default.

You can have all of the RadosGW data geo-replicated.  Raw Rados isn't
possible yet, and rbd under development.

You can read from both the master and slave, but you don't want to write
to a slave.  The master and slave have different URLs, so it's up to you
to use the appropriate URL.

You can run multiple zones in each cluster, as long as each zone has
it's own URL.  If you do this, you might want to share
apache/radosgw/osd across all the zone, or dedicated them to specific
zones.  It's entirely possible multiple zones in one cluster share
everything, or just the monitors.

If you really want both clusters to handle writes, this is how you'd do it:
ClusterWest1 contains us-west-1 (master), and us-west-2 (slave for
us-east-2).
ClusterEast1 constains us-east-1 (slave for us-west-1), and us-east-2
(master).
If users and buckets need to be globally unique across all zones, setup
metadata (not data) replication between the two zones.
Write to us-west-1 or us-east-2, up to you.

This replication setup to make more sense when you have more than 3+
data centers, and you set them up in a ring.

Does that help?

--

*Craig Lewis*
Senior Systems Engineer

*Central Desktop. Work together in ways you never thought possible.*
Connect with us Website <http://www.centraldesktop.com/>  | Twitter
<http://www.twitter.com/centraldesktop>  | Facebook
<http://www.facebook.com/CentralDesktop>  | LinkedIn
<http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=147417>  | Blog