From: "Brian Rak" <brak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: ceph-users at lists.ceph.com
Sent: Tuesday, 20 May, 2014 9:11:58 PM
Subject: nginx (tengine) and radosgw

I've just finished converting from nginx/radosgw to tengine/radosgw, and
it's fixed all the weird issues I was seeing (uploads failing, random
clock skew errors, timeouts).

The problem with nginx and radosgw is that nginx insists on buffering
all the uploads to disk. This causes a significant performance hit, and
prevents larger uploads from working. Supposedly, there is going to be
an option in nginx to disable this, but it hasn't been released yet (nor
do I see anything on the nginx devel list about it).

tengine ( http://tengine.taobao.org/ ) is an nginx fork that implements
unbuffered uploads to fastcgi. It's basically a drop in replacement for
nginx.

My configuration looks like this:

server {
listen 80;

server_name *.rados.test rados.test;

client_max_body_size 10g;
# This is the important option that tengine has, but nginx does not
fastcgi_request_buffering off;

location / {
fastcgi_pass_header Authorization;
fastcgi_pass_request_headers on;

if ($request_method = PUT ) {
rewrite ^ /PUT$request_uri;
}
include fastcgi_params;

fastcgi_pass unix:/path/to/ceph.radosgw.fastcgi.sock;
}

location /PUT/ {
internal;
fastcgi_pass_header Authorization;
fastcgi_pass_request_headers on;

include fastcgi_params;
fastcgi_param CONTENT_LENGTH $content_length;

fastcgi_pass unix:/path/to/ceph.radosgw.fastcgi.sock;
}
}

if anyone else is looking to run radosgw without having to run apache, I
would recommend you look into tengine :)