CephFS parallel reads from multiple replicas ?

On Sat, May 17, 2014 at 5:40 PM, Michal Pazdera
<michal.pazdera at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I wonder if CephFS is able to read from all replicas simontaniously, that
> will result in doubled read performance if
> a replica of 2 has been used.

Nope, definitely not.

> I have done some humble testing on 5PCs (2OSD
> (each on 1PC) + 1MON/MDS PC + 2 CephFS clients).
> I have did two configurations:
>
> 1) default from ceph-deploy, replication 2, 4MB objects with 1 stripe count
> and 4MB stripe size.
> 2) custom conf without replication, 4MB object with 4 stripe count and 1MB
> stripe size.
>
> If replication is used write performance is around 30MB/s and read 100MB/s.
> If not write is around 55MB/s and read is suprisingly lower 95MB/s. I would
> expect to be around 160 or 180 since i have used two hard drives.
>
> journal was on the same OSD
>
> So i think with replication the data was served from both replicas, but im
> not sure. I have tried to find some more information about
> this but couldnt find any.

I think you're just seeing random variation based on on-disk layouts
or something. 95 and 100 are not far off for tests run over multiple
hard drives.
And while there are a number of other things it could be (lots of
stuff bottlenecks around 100MB/s), it might just be the combination of
your network throughput (which in practice can get ~115MB/s, if it's
gigabit) and occasional latencies.

> I have one last question. Does journals impact read performance? I mean if
> journal is on the same OSD, the write performance is
> two times slower because write is done to journal and then onto OSD. Does
> something simalar happen for reads to? I think not
> coz it seems silly to me.

Nope, the journals have no direct impact on reads.
-Greg