metadata pool : size growing

On 05/19/2014 12:31 PM, Florent B wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I use CephFS and I am wondering what does "metadata" pool contains exactly ?

It contains the directory structure of your filesystem

> Its size is growing (multiple GB).
>
> It seems that it stores all operations occurring in CephFS, but is it
> totally necessary ?

It doesn't store all operations, but it stores all the metadata like
directories, owners, file sizes, but not the contents of the files.

This pool is mandatory and do NOT try to remove it or any objects in it.

> When a MDS is taking failover, does it have to read all content of
> metadata pool (replay state) ?

Yes, if another MDS is doing a cold-takeover it has to read the contents
of this pool.

> I haven't found architecture information of this pool, can someone tell me ?

File data goes into the pool 'data' and all the directory information
goes into 'metadata'.