PCI-E SSD Journal for SSD-OSD Disks

On 15/05/14 11:36, Tyler Wilson wrote:
> Hey All,
>
> I am setting up a new storage cluster that absolutely must have the best
> read/write sequential speed @ 128k and the highest IOps at 4k read/write
> as possible.
>
> My current specs for each storage node are currently;
> CPU: 2x E5-2670V2
> Motherboard: SM X9DRD-EF
> OSD Disks: 20-30 Samsung 840 1TB
> OSD Journal(s): 1-2 Micron RealSSD P320h
> Network: 4x 10gb, Bridged
> Memory: 32-96GB depending on need
>
> Does anyone see any potential bottlenecks in the above specs? What kind
> of improvements or configurations can we make on the OSD config side? We
> are looking to run this with 2 replication.
>
> Thanks for your guys assistance with this.

On thing that comes to mind is write endurance for the Samsung drives:

Samsung 840 Pro:
(http://www.samsung.com/us/pdf/memory-storage/840PRO_25_SATA_III_Spec.pdf)

For enterprise applications, 5 years limited warranty assumes a
maximum average workload
of 40GB/day (calculated based on host
writes and on the industry standard of 3-month data retention).
Workloads in excess of 40GB/day are not covered under warrant

Compare with

Intel DC3700
(http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-specifications/ssd-dc-s3700-spec.pdf)

10 drive writes per day for 5 years

I'm not trying to be an Intel sales guy here, but I'd be wary of using
the Samsung 840 for a (busy) server based workload - 40G of data churn
per day is not a great deal.

Regards

Mark