PCI-E SSD Journal for SSD-OSD Disks

On 05/14/2014 06:36 PM, Tyler Wilson wrote:
> Hey All,

Hi!

> I am setting up a new storage cluster that absolutely must have the best
> read/write sequential speed @ 128k and the highest IOps at 4k read/write
> as possible.

I assume random?

> My current specs for each storage node are currently;
> CPU: 2x E5-2670V2
> Motherboard: SM X9DRD-EF
> OSD Disks: 20-30 Samsung 840 1TB
> OSD Journal(s): 1-2 Micron RealSSD P320h
> Network: 4x 10gb, Bridged
> Memory: 32-96GB depending on need
>
> Does anyone see any potential bottlenecks in the above specs? What kind
> of improvements or configurations can we make on the OSD config side? We
> are looking to run this with 2 replication.

Likely you'll run into latency due to context switching and lock
contention in the OSDs and maybe even some kernel slowness.  Potentially
you could end up CPU limited too, even with E5-2670s given how fast all
of those SSDs are.  I'd suggest considering a chassis without an
expander backplane and using multiple controllers with the drives
directly attached.

There's work going into improving things on the Ceph side but I don't
know how much of it has even hit our wip branches in github yet.  So for
now ymmv, but there's a lot of work going on in this area as it's
something that lots of folks are interested in.

I'd also suggest testing whether or not putting all of the journals on
the RealSSD cards actually helps you that much over just putting your
journals on the other SSDs.  The advantage here is that by putting
journals on the 2.5" SSDs, you don't lose a pile of OSDs if one of those
PCIE cards fails.

The only other thing I would be careful about is making sure that your
SSDs are good about dealing with power failure during writes.  Not all
SSDs behave as you would expect.

> Thanks for your guys assistance with this.

np, good luck!