Re: osd rebalance question

>          I need to add a extend server, which reside several osds, to a
> running ceph cluster. During add osds, ceph would not automatically modify
> the ceph.conf. So I manually modify the ceph.conf
>
> And restart the whole ceph cluster with command: ’service ceph –a restart’.
> I just confused that if I restart the ceph cluster, ceph would rebalance the
> whole data(redistribution whole data) among osds? Or just move some
>
> Data from existed osds to new osds? Anybody knows?

It depends on how you added the OSDs, if the initial crush weight is
set to 0 then no data will be moved to the OSD when it joins the
cluster. Only once the weight has been increased with the rest of the
OSD population will data start to move to the new OSD(s). If you add
new OSD(s) with an initial weight > 0 then they will start accepting
data from peers as soon as they are up/in.

--

Kyle