State of RadosGW and small files

Hello,

There are several older discussions regarding RGW performance with high volume small files.

I'm planning on running some tests on our test cluster to benchmark this performance, but before I do I wanted to ask several questions, to make sure that me test is valid.

1) does firefly have any meaningful performance increase in this regard? I took a look at the commit history for src/rgw and I didn't see anything that appeared to change it, but if it does, than I'll perform my test on firefly.

2) The best practice seems to be sharing across multiple buckets. Other than the small overhead for bucket metatdata, is there any downside to sharding to many buckets (e.g. 1024 buckets) instead of to just a few (e.g. 16)?

3) Having a bucket with a huge number of items (e.g. 50 million) should only affect performance of that bucket, correct? Or will loading the large map to perform operations on it potentially affect other requests through the RGW by eating all of the memory?

All the best,

~ Christopher