Re: recover from node failure / monitor and osds do not come back

On Sunday, March 2, 2014, Diedrich Ehlerding <diedrich.ehlerding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Gregory Farnum wrote:

> Your OSDs aren't supposed to be listed in the config file, but they
> should show up under /var/lib/ceph. Probably your OSD disks aren't
> being mounted for some reason (that would be the bug). Try mounting
> them and seeing what blocked the mount

Yes, that was my bug; I mounted them now, and everything is fine
again.

Apparently the cluster remembers which node owns which OSD, and where
it expects this OSD to be mounted, but does not remember the device.
I had created my OSDs initially with
ceph-deploy osd prepare node:/dev/sdX
and started them with
ceph-deploy osd activate node:/dev/sdX

So I assume I should manually extend my fstabs to mount these
filesystems on /var/lib/ceph/osd/ceph-Y. My (wrong) assumption was
that the osd filesystem is automatically mounted by /etc/init.d/ceph
start osd.

The filesystem should be mounted automatically via some udev triggers when the device appears, assuming everything was set up correctly. But maybe the disks didn't get the proper type set or something.
-Greg

Thank you for your help.

best regards
--
Diedrich Ehlerding, Fujitsu Technology Solutions GmbH,
FTS CE SC PS&IS W, Hildesheimer Str 25, D-30880 Laatzen