Re: Viewing CephFS Client Debugging

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 9:29 PM, Michael Sevilla <mikesevilla3@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm looking for the debug messages in Client.cc, which uses ldout
> (library debugging). I increased the client debug level for all
> daemons (i.e. under [global] in ceph.conf) and verified that it got
> set:
>
> $ ceph --admin-daemon /var/run/ceph/ceph-mon.issdm-3.asok config show
> | grep client
> "client": "20\/20",
>
> After I mount and make a couple files, I expect to see some debugging
> activity, but the log is empty. Logging into the client and checking
> results in:
>
> $ ls -l /var/log/ceph/ceph-client.admin.log
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Feb 27 10:19 /var/log/ceph/ceph-client.admin.log
>
> Is there a flag I am missing? I'm a little confused since the client
> isn't really managed by a daemon like the MDSs, OSDs, and MONs are.
>
> Things I tried: changing the permissions of /var/log/ceph, using both
> the kernel and FUSE client, redirecting the logs to syslog, setting
> the name of the log (i.e. log file = x in ceph.conf), checking
> dmesg/kern.log.

Did you make the change in the config file used by the client? It
looks like maybe you did it on the host machines but not the client
ones or something.
The kernel client has a whole different set of debug configs; it does
not respect the userspace options. To use its debugging you'll need a
kernel with debugfs; I think there are some details on it in the Ceph
docs.
-Greg