Re: ceph osd create with uuid & ceph-osd --mkfs

On 02/22/2014 03:07 PM, Pavel V. Kaygorodov wrote:
Hi!

I have found strange behavior of ceph-osd, which must be documented, in my opinion:

While creating osd fs (with ceph-osd --mkfs), ceph-osd looking for UUID in ceph.conf only, if there are no "osd uuid = ..." line, it not asking monitor for uuid and just generates random one.
If one has previously created osd by "ceph osd create <some_uuid>", the created osd uuid will conflict with uuid stored by monitor and osd will never appears "up".

May be it will be better for ceph-osd to ask monitor for uuid for given id and use it, if no uuid provided in ceph.conf, and display warning if uuid, returned by monitor conflicts with uuid, stored on the disk.

Hmm, that last bit might be tricky. Since when you are creating the OSD it most of the time doesn't have a cephx key yet so it can't ask the Monitor anything.

Pavel.

Wido den Hollander
42on B.V.

Phone: +31 (0)20 700 9902